Urgent Capital Support (UCS) is for Academies, Sixth Form Colleges and eligible Voluntary Aided (VA) Schools that do not have access to SCA and require funding assistance to address urgent building condition issues, that either put the safety of pupils and staff at risk, or threaten the closure of the whole school, or a significant part of it.
UCS applications can be submitted at any time where there is a genuine and immediate need for urgent support.
Where UCS applications are received between October and April that are duplicates of any CIF application, then the CIF application may be withdrawn.
The application will need to provide evidence:
- of a significant health and safety risk in relation to the building condition
- that the condition issue has already resulted in, or represents an imminent threat of school closure
- that the condition issue has resulted in or risks imminent closure of a significant part of the school building which would prevent the curriculum from being delivered
- that the urgent works cannot be funded by the trust independently or through a CIF loan
Condition issues that may be in scope for funding include:
- structural issues
- urgent health and safety (H&S) or insurance compliance issues
- urgent asbestos issue
- fire protection
- leaking roofs
- boiler and pipework failure
- electrical issues