Graham Ellis Associates (GEA) were commissioned by Hamstreet Primary Academy to prepare an application to the ESFA, to secure grant funding via the CIF for an urgent re-roofing project at the Academy.
An intrusive and comprehensive survey was carried out, with core samples taken, to identify those roofs and windows which were in need of urgent repair/replacement.
The CIF Bid
The Application for Grant Funding required the format of the Bid to focus on the following criteria:
- Project Need
- Project Planning
- Value for Money
Project Need – required GEA to provide information on the urgency of the need, strength of evidence of the need and the nature and extent of the impact the refurbishment works would have on the school.
Project Planning – needed to address the appropriateness of the solution put forward by GEA, the time scales and a delivery plan.
Value for Money – GEA competitively tendered the project prior to submission of the Application to give ‘cost certainty’ before works started on site.
GEA were successful in obtaining a total of £332,569.99 in funding via the ESFA for the works.
After analysis of the tenders received, the preferred Contractor was Q&A Roofing Ltd.
The accepted tender was within Budget.
An intrusive roof survey was carried out, taking core samples which indicated 830m2 of the flat roofing area was designated Grade C/D (marked red and orange on plan) which was in need of immediate replacement. An initial budget was set of £332,569.99 to include replacement flat roofs, roof lights and removal of asbestos.
Scope of Works
GEA were tasked with providing the most cost-effective solution to deal with the defective roofs and the problems encountered by the leaking roofs at the Academy.
An overlay roofing system was adopted, which would cause minimal disruption to the teaching and learning curriculum and also carried a 25-year guarantee.
The works comprised the following:
- Preparing the existing roof surface to accept new waterproofing.
- Installing overlay roofing system
- Insulating the roof areas to current building regulation standards.
- Re-routing cables.
- Raising soil and vent pipes.
- Raising window thresholds.
- Improving drainage/falls to roofs.
- Installing new edge details.
- Removal and capping of non compliant roof lights (where required).
- Providing rainwater outlets and down pipes where indicated.
- Installing all necessary flashings.
The services provided by GEA on this project were as follows:
- Budget Estimates, Feasibility Studies.
- Surveying the existing roof structures with core samples.
- Preparation of Specification, Description of Materials and Workmanship.
- Agreeing re-roofing design/specification.
- Advice on Procurement and Contractor Selection.
- Preparing Tender Documents.
- Analysing Tenders returned, preparing Tender Report with recommendations.
- Monitoring Contractor’s Progress on site.
- Cost control – Interim Valuation payments and Financial Statements.
- Monitoring Health & Safety on site.
The End Result
The project achieved Practical Completion on time and to an excellent standard of workmanship. The project was completed within the specified contract sum, with the Academy being kept fully informed with monthly financial reports during the construction phase, as to the anticipated final cost.
CLIENT: Hamstreet Primary Academy
LOCATION: Hamstreet, Ashford, Kent
Start Date: 20th July 2020
Project Duration: 8 Weeks
Completion: 16th September 2020
Project Value: £302,336.35
The Professional Team
Once notification had been received via the EFA, that funding was available for the project, GEA were appointed as Contract Administrators, Quantity Surveyors, Principal Designers and Project Managers for the Construction Phase.
The re-roofing system was designed by Garland (UK) Limited and carried a 25-year guarantee on workmanship and materials.
The Construction Project was carried out using the JCT Minor Works Building Form of Contract with Contractors Design.
Fees were charged at 10% of the Contract Value for Professional services, the cost of which were included in the funding application.